Our Savior, Kimmo!: Timonen Sparks Comeback Win on Resurrection Sunday

The Flyers may have turned a corner, finding their comeback identity and pulling off a stunning comeback of the Capitals.

Kimmo Timonen blasted the game-tying goal with nine seconds left in regulation and then set up Ruslan Fedotenko for the game-winner in over time to beat Washington, 5-4. It capped off a one-goal, three-assist night for Timonen, who resurrected his team with two primary assists and a goal in the final 10 minutes of play.

The Capitals got the early lead. 4:29 into the game, Nicklas Backstrom deflected a shot from the point by Jack Hillen to make it a 1-0 game.

The Flyers failed to record a shot on net through the first 10 minutes of the first period. But once they got the puck on net, good things happened.

On their second shot of the period, Max Talbot tied the game up with his fifth goal of the season. Timonen was in on the goal to start off his four-point night.

Timonen fired a slap shot off the back boards. Rinaldo played it through his legs and out front to Talbot, who blasted it through Braden Holtby's five-hole to tie the game up, 1-1.

The Flyers took the lead just over four minutes later on a pretty bizarre breakaway.

The puck was hanging loose in the Flyers zone and Claude Giroux didn't know it was behind him. Giroux then suddenly turned around and fired the puck up ice to a sprinting Matt Read.

Read skated in alone and buried past Holtby to give the Flyers a 2-1 lead with 5:05 left in the first.

The Flyers nearly got a third goal immediately but it was waved off for goalie interference.

Wayne Simmonds was knocked into Holtby by Karl Alzner, with Alzner's momentum actually knocking Holtby down. Hartnell buried the puck but it was called interference.

The Flyers power play struggled in this game, especially in the first two periods. The weak opportunities wound up hurting them at the end of the second.

After failing to score on their third power play chance, Brooks Laich connected with Mike Green on an outlet pass after the defenseman left the penalty box. Green skated in alone and beat Bryzgalov low to tie the game up, 2-2.

Washington took the lead with 13:38 remaining in the third. Steve Oleksy leveled Giroux and Jakub Voracek jumped in to fight Oleksy in the defense of his captain, winning the fight and bloodying Oleksy.

After Voracek got called for both an instigator minor and fighting with a visor minor that put the Flyers on a four-minute disadvantage, Washington capitalized to break the tie and take a two-goal lead.

Giroux turned the puck over in his own zone and it cost him. Marcus Johansson stole the puck and beat Bryzgalov to give Washington a 3-2 lead.

Still holding two minutes on the power play, Alex Ovechkin gave the Capitals some distance, making it a 4-2 game.

Giroux made up for his mistake, getting the goal back with 7:12 left in the game. On the team's fourth power play chance, Giroux blasted a shot past Holtby to cut the lead to 4-3.

It also kept the Flyers streak with a power play goal alive, expanding it to five games.

The Flyers kept pressing late, pulling Bryzgalov with over 90 seconds left in the game.  With nine second left, they got the magic they needed.

Timonen blasted a shot from the point with time ticking away. The puck deflected off of Jeff Schultz's leg and found the back of the net, tying the game up, 4-4.

1:34 into the over time period, Timonen set up Fedetenko with a beautiful pass to beat a diving Holtby to win the game.

TALBOT HURT -- Max Talbot left Sunday's game late in the second period. 

With just over a minute left in the second, Talbot collided with Capitals defenseman Mike Green in the corner. Upon impact, Green's skate came up and caught Talbot in the back of his left leg around the knee/hamstring area.

General manager Paul Holmgren said that Talbot had a lower-body injury. He did not return.


Follow John Russo (@Roose_TCL) and the site (@TCLFlyers) on Twitter