Penguins Climb Out of Early Hole to Steal One From the Flyers

It was a 4-1 game after the first period and Marc Andre Fleury was pulled after a horrible outing.

It had all the makings for a Flyers win. Unfortunately for Philadelphia, there were still 40 minutes left in the game and the Penguins were the only team to show up those remaining two periods.

Much like the poor effort in New York, Philadelphia collapsed to the Penguins. Pittsburgh scored four unanswered goals to climb out of the 4-1 hole, beating the Flyers 5-4 in Philadelphia Thursday night.

"It can't bend us and it can't break us," head coach Peter Laviolette said after the game. "We've got to come back and win the game. We didn't win the game today. So we'll back to work tomorrow and we'll be back out there on Saturday [against Boston."

Things were looking bright after the opening frame. The Flyers out-shot the Penguins 18-6 and had them frustrated in every aspect of the game.

They even got Penguins star James Neal to take a bad elbowing penalty and he quickly paid for it.

On their opening power play opportunity, Jakub Voracek scored the first of his two goals. He threw a shot on net that deflected off the stick of Penguins defenseman Paul Martin and got passed Fleury to make it 1-0.

But after the goal, Scott Hartnell skated towards Neal, who was coming out of the box and the two began to fight. Both got two minutes each for roughing, and Hartnell got an extra two for unsportsmanlike conduct and it put the Penguins on the power play.

Chris Kunitz answered right away for the Penguins, tying the game up 1-1. Philadelphia scored the next three goals in the period, leading to the eventual end of Fleury's day. 

Zac Rinaldo buried on an open net after a rebound, giving Philadelphia a 2-1 lead. Only a few minutes later, Timonen threw a shot on net that squirted under the arm of Fleury to give the Flyers a 3-1 lead.

Voracek scored his second goal of the game with eight seconds left in the period. He again took advantage of Martin's positioning as his shot deflected off Martin's skate and beat Fleury to make it a 4-1 game.

It was a tale of a different team the next period and it bit the Flyers in the long run.

5:30 into the second period, Pasqual Dupuis scored on a poorly positioned Ilya Bryzgalov to make it a 4-2 game.

Shortly after, Neal pulled his team within one with a goal that bounced off of Braydon Coburn and went into the net. Neal threw the puck in front of the net, intending to reach Evgeni Malkin but it went off Coburn's stick and into the net.

Laviolette called a timeout after the goal but it didn't help as Pittsburgh tied it up with 4:13 left in the second period. Tyler Kennedy fired a one-timer from above the left circle, beating Bryzgalov who was screened by Brandon Sutter.

"The second period was not a very good period," said Laviolette. "It was the opposite from the first period. It went from a first period where we were skating, we were physical, got the puck behind them and looked to establish our game. And the second period, they picked up their game, we stopped working and the second period belonged to them."

Bryzgalov was then yanked after that goal, giving way to Brian Boucher.

Kunitz scored the game-winner 18 seconds into the third, beating Boucher to give Pittsburgh the 5-4 lead and eventual win. Kunitz now has five goals in his last three games.