Morning After – The Minnesota Massacre
Wowser! I haven't seen the Habs dominate a complete game like that since the end of the 2007/2008 season...maybe even before.
In honour of the Habs 8-goals, today's post will be kept to 8-points.
- It’s a pretty entertaining game when a player gets a Gordie Howe hat trick. But when a Gordie Howe hat trick is one-upped by a real hat trick, my mind ceases to function. That being said, I’ll take a Gordie over a real hat trick any day. WHAT? Yes...it’s true, and let me briefly tell you why. It means the player is full-out involved. He’s hitting, he’s scoring, he’s passing – he’s all over the place. A guy who gets a Gordie is my kind of guy and definitely the type of player the Habs have desperately been searching for.
- When Subban scored his first goal, I said to myself “that was a pretty goal”...but then Cammy and Wisniewski combined for what I think is one of the nicest goals of the season. Let’s look at the replay:
- Is it just me, or do teams love to wear their 3rd jersey’s against the Habs. It was the 2nd game in a row where we got to see a team’s alternate jersey, but it was probably the fourth or fifth time this season. I feel this is an important point with all the recent Habs-hate by the rest of the league. Do you know why teams like to wear their 3rd jersey against the Habs? Because they are guaranteed a large audience...because the Habs have one of the largest fan bases in the NHL (if not THE largest).
- Andrei Kostitsyn. He scored a goal, and was a perfect screen on Subban’s 2nd goal. I’m going to get hate mail for this, but we need to resign him. For all his sleepwalking, when he’s awake., he’s brilliant.
- Speaking of Andrei, he scores a goal and then goes right to the box for a high sticking call. Why is it that an accidental high stick is taking so seriously, but an accidental head shot is just “whatever, he didn’t mean to”.
- I would like to know who put their hand on the puck in the crease, and basically ruined Auld’s shutout. It was the sole lowlight of the game. As far as backups go, I like him. He doesn’t cause a scene and he can hold his own (ish).
- I like the Minnesota Wild. After the Sharks, they are one of my favourite Western conference teams. I have no good reason for this, other than I like the idea of Minnesota as a state. Golden Girl Rose Nilan was from there, and until last night, I always though Twin Peaks was filmed there (it was actually filmed in Oregon). All that to say – what happened to them? For a team that is supposedly very defensive, that was pretty shoddy. The Habs had a TWO-ON-NOTHING! I thought that only happened in Bantam hockey...
- And finally...Jose Theodore. That man sees a Habs logo and just freezes like a deer in headlights. Only Markov, Plekanec and Kostitsyn where on the roster during Theodore’s last season. Two of those guys weren’t playing last night, and AK46 was nothing but a little rookie who played a mere 12 games. Motto for his future: “No way Jose for all future Habs games.”
A two-on-zero, then Cammy makes a full stop and shows more patience then Ms. Honey from Matilda. You know what he was thinking – he wanted the goal, he wanted to shoot. But he took the patient path, drew in the defender and Wisniewski put it in.
Read more from me at www.ladyloveshockey.com